One of Illinois’ Favorite Family Attractions is Celebrating 40 Years of Fun
When it comes to places to have family-friendly fun in Rockford, the Discovery Center Museum is always top of mind. No matter how old your children are, they will find something that fascinates them at the Discovery Center, and next month the museum will be celebrating its 40th anniversary, and your family should totally be a part of it!
A Little History About Rockford's Discovery Center Museum
Did you know that the Discovery Center Museum was started by members of the Junior League of Rockford and the Rockford Area Arts Council 40 years ago and that it only had 20 exhibits that were all built by locals in their garages and basements when it first opened its doors? Did you also know that now, 40 years later, Discovery Center Museum features over 300 permanent exhibits and has delighted over 6 million families, both on-sight, and through their outreach programs over the last 40 years?!?
Impressive numbers and achievements like that deserve a big celebration, and that is exactly what the Discovery Center Museum has planned for Rockford area families this October!
Events Coming Up at Rockford's Discovery Center Museum
- Saturday, October 2, 2021 - Free Members' Only Event from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. - Check out the new Tot Spot Water Play Table, sign a giant cupcake and so much more.
- Saturday, October 9, 2021 - Bubble Festival - For an additional $3, (on top of your $10 museum admission price), your family will enjoy a 30 minute show from celebrity bubble master, Ben Jimenez, and a trip to the Bubble-Pallooza Playground. (get ticket info here).
- Saturday, October 16, 2021 - Fast or Slow…Chemistry Makes it Go! - Fizz, foam and explosions, oh my! Your kids will love these crazy chemistry demonstrations. (Get more info here).
- Saturday, October 23, 2021 - Be My Neighbor Day - Fans of PBS' Daniel Tiger will be able to meet Daniel Tiger and Katerina Kitty Kat AND get to take a pic by their favorite trolley. Admission to this event, and the museum, is FREE for this one day only, just bring some boxed breakfast foods to donate to the Rock River Food Pantry. Although the event is free, reservations are required, so get signed up now, here.
- Friday, October 29, 2021 - Spooky Science Day - Come in costume to enjoy some Halloween fun that every age will love. (Get more info here).
- Sunday, November 7, 2021 - Smashing Pumpkins Day - What human wouldn't love watching their old jack-o-lanterns get launched into the air by a catapult?!?
Remember, admission into the Discovery Center Museum does require a reservation still, and masks need to be worn indoors and out. Start planning your next trip to the Discovery Center Museum at discoverycentermuseum.org.