NUIC Sports Roundup
Stateline Sports Hub
NUIC Rankings. 12/19.
Lena-Winslow/Stockton is ranked second in the state in 1A wrestling winning all nine matches. The Panther/Hawks were the champions of the Erie/Prophetstown tournament Saturday. Dakota is third at 10-4. The losses were to strong Iowa teams at Western Dubuque where they finished second. And to 3A State powers OPRF and Dekalb. Dakota beat the state's top ranked 2A team in Washington. While the Indians don't have the top all-stars like in some past years, but they have a solid lineup in all weight classes.
LW/S, won five Individual weight classes at Erie/Ptown including Zach White a freshman off to a 12-1 start at 106, Simon Rillie 120, Case Harmston at 160, Colin Dvorak at 170 and Ian Kuehl at 285. Kuehl is the defending state champion and top-ranked wrestler in his weight class in his senior year. He is 13-0 this year including a pin in just 28 seconds in the final. Placing second were Jaden Rice at 113, Winston McPeek at 132, and Jason Hermann at 145. Marey Roby a freshman off to an 11-1 record was third at 126.
Dakota and Lena-Winslow/Stockton have a dual showdown at Dakota on January 10th. They meet again at the Individual Regional where only the team champion advances to the Sectionals. That Regional also includes good teams in Rock Falls, Byron, and Sterling Newman.
Top wrestlers so far this season in the NUIC which includes Dakota, Lena-Winslow/Stockton, West Carroll, Amboy, Ashton/Franklin Center, Durand, and Polo.
- Maddux Blakely. Dakota. The freshman's mother Jen is the daughter of Tony and Sherry Alber. While he does not have the Alber name, he does have the Alber bloodlines. Tony's son Josh Alber was the only Illinois wrestler to never lose or tie a match in going 182-0 with four state championships. He is now wrestling for Division 1 Northern Iowa.
- Connor Elmer of Dakota and Jaden Rice Lena-Winslow/Stockton both state qualifiers last year could be on a collision course again this season.
- Simon Rillie. Lena-Winslow who has won 13 of his 14 matches.
- Ethen Doty. West Carroll. Will be going for a high place at state at either 132 or 126.
- Winston McPeek. Lena-Winslow/Stockton.
- Caleb Alber. Dakota. Senior.
- Evan Riggle. Dakota. Junior.
- Jason Hermann. Lena-Winslow. .
- Case Harmston Lena-Winslow. Unbeaten at 13-0.
- Andrew Wenzel. Dakota.
- Colin Dvorak. Stockton. 11-1.
- Eli Dertz. From Eastland and West Carroll Coop.
- Ian Kuehl. Lena-Winslow/Stockton.
Honorable Mention. Dakota. Lucas Sutherland 120. Aiden Nardin 160. Nolan Lentz 182. Martin Snyder 195. Quinton Heilemeier 145-152. Lena-Winslow/Stockton. Zach White. 106. Marey Robey 132. West Carroll. Trapper Hartman. 120.
Boys Basketball Rankings. Saturday in the opening round of the Forreston Holiday tournament East Dubuque stayed unbeaten in 13 outings. Pearl City beat Polo 66-63. Eastland got by Forrestpm 49-46 and Aquin battled Winnebago but fell 64-58.
- East Dubuque. 13-0.
- River Ridge. 8-1.
- Polo. 8-2.
- Pearl City. 2-2. The last two games they have beaten Lena-Winslow and Polo. Forreston. 4-0.
- Lena-Winslow. 5-1.
- Eastland. 3-0.
- Forreston. 4-1
- Milledgeville. 8-3.
- Aquin. 4-5.
- Scales Mound. 6-6.
- Aquin. 11-1. Have won eight straight since loss to Dakota. Those two teams collide again December 18th.
- Dakota.11-2. Have won six straight.
- Ashton/Franklin Center. 13-2. Won 12 straight since starting 1-2 and losing to Dakota to open the season.
- East Dubuque. 10-2.
- River Ridge/Scales Mound 10-3.
- Stockton. 6-2.
- Eastland. 9-3.
- Amboy. 8-1. Suffered first loss after winning first eight outings falling to A/FC 47-44 on December 12th.
- Galena. 8-4.
- Pecatonica. 5-6.