Fred VanVleet Broke Multiple Scoring Records Last Night
Fred's star just seems to get brighter and brighter each year.
The Rockford native and Auburn grad went off against the Orlando Magic last night.
Fred started the night hot, scoring 17 in the first quarter, 28 in the first half, and connecting on 11 of his first 12 three-point attempts. He only attempted one three-pointer in the 4th quarter before being pulled from the game with about 3 minutes left. If the Raptors had left him in the game he possibly could have topped 60 points.
Here is Fred's final line from last night's game.
54 points on 17-23 shooting including 11-14 from three-point range and 9-9 from the line. Throw in 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, and you have yourself a career night.
The biggest record Fred broke last night was passing Moses Malone (he was pretty good) for the most points from an undrafted player. He made a few other marks as well last night, including:
- A new career high (He had never topped the 40 point mark before, in the NBA or in college)
- 54 points is the 3rd most scored in the NBA this season
- 11 made three-pointers is the most made this season (Just three short of Klay Thompson's record of 14 set against the Bulls in 2018)
- Scored the most points for the Raptors in team history (passing DeMar DeRozan's 53 by one point)
- Became only the second player to score at least 54 points with a maximum of 23 shot attempts.
His teammates gave him a postgame shower that he won't ever forget:
That's quite a bit removed from the speech he gave in downtown Rockford 5 years ago on the night he didn't get drafted.
Remember to bet on yourself, kids. When you do, the sky's the limit.