Here Are The 15 Illinois Billionaires On Forbes New Richest List
If I had a dollar for every time I've wished I had a dollar for every dollar Ken Griffin, Illinois' richest man has, I might have enough dollars to actually make the Forbes "Richest List."
I know it seems like weird wishing, but I am prepared in case I should encounter a genie in a bottle.
Forbes Says That The Richest 400 Americans Did Not Get Richer Over The Last Year
Basing their conclusions on stock prices from September 2nd of this year, Forbes says that the net worth of what are called the "super rich" has dropped by about $500 million overall.
No need for a telethon or crowd-funding for this unfortunate group, because even with a drop of 11% to their net wealth, the super rich in America are still worth over $4 trillion.
However, it's important to note that not every member of the Forbes 400 richest saw their fortunes decline. The man pictured below actually increased his net wealth.
Hedge Fund Giant And Head Of Citadel, Ken Griffin, Still Holds The Top Spot In Illinois
Mr. Griffin, according to Forbes estimates, is worth $30.8 billion and also holds a $10 billion lead in net worth over Illinois' second-richest person, Walmart's Lukas Walton, who has an impressive bank account of $20.5 billion.
There's Quite A Drop-Off In Wealth Among Illinois' Billionaires Once You Get Past The Top Two On The List
Ken Griffin's got $30 billion, Lukas Walton has $20 billion, but the others that follow, while still super-rich, have significantly less sitting in their vaults.
Here's the full list of Illinois' 15 richest people, and what Forbes estimates their net worth to be:
- Ken Griffin, $30.8 billion, hedge funds
- Lukas Walton, $20.5 billion, Walmart
- Patrick Ryan, $8.5 billion, insurance
- Neil Bluhm, $6.2 billion, real estate
- Sam Zell, $5.3 billion, real estate, private equity
- Mark Walter, $5.2 billion, Finance
- Joe Mansueto, $5 billion, investment research
- Thomas Pritzker, $4.7 billion, hotels, investments
- Joseph Grendys, $4.2 billion, poultry processing
- Ty Warner, $4.1 million, plush toys, real estate
- Elizabeth Uihlein, $3.9 billion, packaging materials
- Richard Uihlein, $3.9 billion, packaging materials
- Eric Lefkofksy, $3.8 billion, Groupon, investments
- J.B. Pritzker, $3.6 billion, hotels, investments
- Steven Sarowitz, $3.3 billion, payroll software
And, as has been the case for a number of years, JB Pritzker is on the list, but he's not the richest guy in Illinois, or even the richest Pritzker.