2016 Was a Record-Setting Year for Rockford Crime Stoppers
Here at News/Talk 1440 WROK, we're proud to be long-time supporters of Rockford Crime Stoppers. Every Tuesday morning after the 8:30 news, our good friend, Crime Stoppers Coordinator Ken Decoster joins us to discuss crime in the Rockford area, along with all the things that Crime Stoppers does to encourage citizens to help in the fight against crime in Rockford and in the surrounding areas. In 2016, Rockford Crime Stoppers did a lot.
First, a little bit of background on Rockford Crime Stoppers. Rockford Crime Stoppers has been doing what they do so well in our area since 1981. From January of 1981 through December of 2015:
- 31,252 criminal cases cleared
- 18,549 individuals arrested
- $68,036,884 in property, narcotics and cash recovered
- Narcotics recovered $47,158,897
- Currency/Property recovered $20,877,987
- $2,029,554 has been paid to Crime Stoppers informants
And, Rockford Crime Stoppers uses NO TAX DOLLARS for paying rewards. Funding comes from donations.
As to the 2016 numbers from Rockford Crime Stoppers:
- 880 cases solved
- 505 people arrested
- $1.9 million recovered in cash, guns, drugs, and stolen property (that nearly doubles the recoveries from 2015)
- $67,500 in reward money was paid out for information
As you may or may not know, Crime Stoppers does not have caller I.D. and will never ask for your name when you call. If your information is valuable, you may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000.
Have a tip for Rockford Crime Stoppers? Call them at 815-963-7867, or toll-free at 1-800-769-STOP (7867).
Too bad all criminals aren't as dumb as this group:
But wait! There's more (one guy so dumb he made both videos):