This Rockford Restaurant Guide From 1972 Will Bring Back Memories
Which one of these spots do you miss the most?
I was cleaning out my office last week and came across this list from the Rockford Chamber of Commerce that they released in 1972. Most of these places have gone by the wayside but it's fun to think back to when they were around.
Here's the list in alphabetical order:
- Barnaby's - Barnaby's will remind you of an English pub! Self-service, pizza, hamburgers, fish and chips, draft beer and draft root beer are served.
- Beaky's - Drive-in and small coffee shop, serve chicken, fish, maxi-burgers(?), beaky-burgers, and all types of soft drinks, malts, and shakes.
- Bishop's Buffet - A beautiful cafeteria with a wide selection of salads, meats, and desserts, all at a reasonable price.
- Branding Iron - Rustic western atmosphere, featuring peanuts in the shell, sandwiches, and meals in a basket.
- Famous Recipe Fried Chicken - Chicken, fish, and shrimp "Worth Crowin' About" for carry out.
- Flowers By Connie - This delightful tea room serves an exceptionally delicious luncheon.
- Faust Hotel - The Faust Hotel is well known for delicious food and its relaxing atmosphere. You may eat in" the Main Dining Room, Viking Grill or the Coffee Shop.
- Geri's Hamburgers
- The Grotto - Delicious Italian food, some specialties are spaghetti, ravioli, lasagna, as well as steak and lobster.
- The Ground Round - Bill of fare includes steak sandwiches, shrimp, chicken, fish fillets and, of course, their famous ground round.
- Henrici's - Henrici's famous for gracious dining since 1898. Delicious food is served in this elegant restaurant.
- Hoffman House - Excellent food, served in an informal, friendly western atmosphere.
- Hollywood Drive-In
- Inn-Towne Restaurant - Families will enjoy eating in this "Western" style dining room. The Inn-Towne specializes in delicious barbequed ribs, chicken and steaks.
- Jacks Or Better - "Feast on the finest" at Jacks or Better. They are famous for their large selection of charcoal broiled steaks and ocean-fresh seafood.
- The Mayflower - Delicious food that is attractively served. Your choice of prime steaks, 22 varieties of seafood, fowl and much more.
- Nino's Steak Round Up - Eat hearty western food at Nino's! This family restaurant features steak but also serves ribs, fish, chicken, and seafood.
- The Open Hearth - The pleasant "country kitchen" atmosphere makes this ideal for families.
- Piccadilly Pub - This delightful family restaurant has just the right touch of jolly old England.
- The Pink Pony - The Pink Pony has excellent food as well as a cordial atmosphere, featuring prime ribs of beef, lamb chops, steaks, and seafood.
- Danish Table Restaurant - Enjoy eating in the pleasant, relaxed atmosphere of the Danish Table Restaurant or Coffee Shop.
- Ross' - Ross' is the place "where old and new friends meet" to enjoy delicious food.
- Saddly and Cycle Restaurant - This is one of Rockford's outstanding restaurants. The Saddle and Cycle is noted for serving delicious steak, seafood, chicken and barbequed ribs.
- Shakey's Pizza Parlor - Everyone has fun at Shakey's Pizza Parlor and Ye Public House! Enjoy delicious pizza and soft drinks or draft beer, served in a pitcher.
- Terrazino's - Delicious Italian food as well as steaks and seafood.
- Uncle John's - Eating out is fun for the whole family when you go to Uncle John's. They serve pancakes, sandwiches, steaks, salads, and desserts.
- The Wagon Wheel - You will enjoy eating in one of the Wagon Wheel's excellent restaurants. These restaurants are: The Gay Nineties Dining Room and Lounge, Martha Washington Dining Room, The Trophy Room, and the Garden Room and Cocktail Lounge.
Like I said most of these are now closed. I think Hoffman House is the only one on the list still up and running.
It turns out Rockford has always had a pretty good reputation of supporting some cool local restaurants.