Illinois Residents, You Need to Remove Your Information From This Dangerous Website ASAP
Have you ever done a google search with your name and come back with some results that scared the heck out of you? I did, and this website I was on frightened the heck out of me. Chances are, you are on it too.
The website is called Family Tree Now. Now, let me stress there is no danger clicking on the website itself, it is what is contained on the website that frightens me more than the Russian hackers do.
Your personal information is on here. I don't recall giving my permission to have my information listed here, but here it is in black and white for everyone to see. I’ve navigated their website, and found my personal information. It didn't stop there, I also found my the personal information of my family member, relatives and even my father who passed away two years ago.
Think about who could be using this information:
Although the intention of the website is that allows you to research your family tree, there are no safeguards built in. Try it.Under 'Start Your Journey', type in your name and boom, your name will most likely pop up, and you'll also see the names of your relatives.
The only way to get your name off this site is to 'opt out'.
HERE IS HOW TO GET YOUR NAME OFF FAMILYTREENOW WEBSITE
- Click on the website (there is no danger)
- Scroll to the bottom of the main page page, click on the PRIVACY button
- Look for "Opt Out of Living People Records. Your privacy is important to us. If you would like your records removed from our database, please opt out here."
- Click on the "Opt Out Here blue hyperlink"
- Click on the box that says: "I’m not a robot"
- Then click on the button that says Begin Opt Out Procedure button
- You will then be required to enter your information again, then and click the 'Search' button
- Next, click on the green "View Details" tab
- Then, click red button that says "Opt Out This Record"
- You will notice a new page will display that says, “Your optout request is being processed. Please allow up to 48 hours for your record to be removed.”
This looks complicated, but really isn't. Just follow the prompts, it only took me ninety seconds to complete. You may want to share this with other close family members and friends who also value their privacy.
FamilytreeNow says they will remove your information in approximately 48 hours.