Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Illinois License Plates
Illinois is rolling out a new license plate this year. Here's a well made video on it's evolution.
Here's a handful of things I learned watching this video:
- The first plates were circular and you had to fill them out yourself.
- 1925 Illinois crossed the 1 million mark for registered vehicles
- 1933 was the first year the plates were made in prisons
- From 1943-48 we switched from metal to paperboard
- 1954 the Land of Lincoln was introduced
- 1961 was the first year letters were allowed (with some exceptions, sorry x and z)
- 1973 Illinois crossed the 5 million mark for registered vehicles
- 1978 was the last year plates were issued annually
- 1980 was the first year vanity plates were allowed
There's a whole bunch more information in this short video. I highly recommend a viewing.