Big Money List: Meet The Richest People In Illinois
If I had a dollar for every time I've wished I had a dollar for every dollar Ken Griffin, formerly Illinois' richest man has, I might have enough dollars to actually make the Forbes "Richest List."
I know it seems like weird wishing, but I am prepared in case I should encounter a genie in a bottle.
Forbes Says That The Richest 400 Americans Did Not Get Richer Over The Last Year
Basing their conclusions on stock prices from September 2nd of 2022, Forbes says that the net worth of what are called the "super rich" has dropped by about $500 million overall.
No need for a telethon or crowd-funding for this unfortunate group, because even with a drop of 11% to their net wealth, the super rich in America are still worth over $4 trillion.
However, it's important to note that not every member of the Forbes 400 richest saw their fortunes decline. The man pictured below actually increased his net wealth.
Hedge Fund Giant And Head Of Citadel, Ken Griffin, Used To Be Illinois' Wealthiest Person
(Correction: Forbes published its annual billionaires list Tuesday and for the first time in years, hedge fund manager Ken Griffin is not the richest person in Illinois. That’s because Griffin, 54, is now the richest person in Florida after moving his investment firm Citadel from Chicago to Miami last year. Griffin ranks 35th among the world’s 2,640 billionaires with a net worth of $35 billion, according to Forbes.
Topping the Illinois list is Lukas Walton, 37, the grandson of Walmart founder Sam Walton. Walton, who ranks 74th with a net worth of $21.2 billion, is the CEO and founder of Chicago-based Builders Vision)
There's Quite A Drop-Off In Wealth Among Illinois' Billionaires Once You Get Past The Top Two On The List
Ken Griffin's got $35 billion that he took to Florida, pushing Lukas Walton to number one in Illinois with $21.2 billion, but the others that follow, while still super-rich, have significantly less sitting in their vaults.
Here's the full list of Illinois' 15 richest people, and what Forbes estimates their net worth to be:
- Lukas Walton, $21.2 billion, Walmart
- Patrick Ryan, $8.5 billion, insurance
- Neil Bluhm, $6.2 billion, real estate
- Sam Zell, $5.3 billion, real estate, private equity
- Mark Walter, $5.2 billion, Finance
- Joe Mansueto, $5 billion, investment research
- Thomas Pritzker, $4.7 billion, hotels, investments
- Joseph Grendys, $4.2 billion, poultry processing
- Ty Warner, $4.1 million, plush toys, real estate
- Elizabeth Uihlein, $3.9 billion, packaging materials
- Richard Uihlein, $3.9 billion, packaging materials
- Eric Lefkofksy, $3.8 billion, Groupon, investments
- J.B. Pritzker, $3.6 billion, hotels, investments
- Steven Sarowitz, $3.3 billion, payroll software
And, as has been the case for a number of years, JB Pritzker is on the list, but he's not the richest guy in Illinois, or even the richest Pritzker.