What’s Really In Your Taco Bell Taco?
Following a lawsuit from a couple of years ago, Taco Bell placed full-page ads in newspapers defending the meat in its tacos and other products. But in the process the company revealed that its beef is 88 percent beef. Many wondered, "What's in the other 12 percent?"
Well, the answer is now clear, with details coming straight from Taco Bell.
If you head to the Taco Bell website, there's a new page that explains what the other 12 percent is:
They do have weird names – perfect for tongue twisters! But these ingredients are completely safe and approved by the FDA. They're common ingredients also found in food items at your grocery store. Each ingredient helps make our Seasoned Beef taste great.
Well, sure, the company is going to say everything is kosher (so to speak), but what about a food chemistry expert?
Derek Lowe, a chemist and blogger with a Ph.D. from Duke University, said he sympathizes with people who are surprised these ingredients are food, but he said he has "no patience" with the general argument, "I can't pronounce it, so I won't eat it. There's nothing on this list I have a problem eating," he said.
Here's a list of the ingredients that aren't beef. You can head over to the Beef Ingredient FAQ page at Taco Bell's website for details on each of them:
2. TORULA YEAST
3. MODIFIED CORN STARCH
4. SOY LECITHIN
5. SODIUM PHOSPHATES
6. LACTIC ACID
7. CARAMEL COLOR AND COCOA POWDER