So, This Guy Walks Up With a Lottery Ticket…
If you haven't been paying attention, the Powerball Lottery jackpot is now hovering around $500 million for tonight's drawing. Could you use half a billion dollars?
Now, keep in mind that if you should be the sole winner, you won't get all $500 million. After taxes and such, you'll probably only clear about $230 million. You'll have to decide if that paltry amount is worth your valuable time and trouble.
We've all heard about the astronomical odds against winning. About 1 in 175,000,000.
Here are some things more likely to happen to you: (courtesy Moneyminiblog.com)
- Having identical quadruplets. (1 in 15 million)
- Becoming US president. (1 in 10 million)
- Becoming a Movie Star. (1 in 1,505,000)
- Becoming an astronaut. (1 in 12,100,000)
- Becoming a pro athlete. (1 in 22,000)
- Winning an Olympic gold medal. (1 in 662,000)
- Winning an academy award. (1 in 11,500)
- Finding out your child is a genius. (1 to 250)
- Dating a millionaire. (1 to 215)
- Getting a royal flush in a first hand of poker. (1 in 649,740)
Those are all pretty good things. Now some bad things more likely to happen:
- Being killed by a vending machine. (1 in 112 million)
- Being killed in a terrorist attack on an airline. (1 in 25 million)
- Dying from a bee, hornet or wasp sting. (1 in 6.1 million)
- Dying from being left-handed. What? (1 in 4.4 million)
- Dying in a plane crash. (1 in 1 million)
- Being killed by flesh-eating bacteria. (1 in 1 million)
- Getting Struck by Lightning. (1 in 1 million)
- Drowning (1 in 2,000,000)
- Drowning specifically in a bathtub. (1 in 840,000)
- Dying in an on-the-job accident. (1 in 48,000)
- Being murdered…just in general. (1 in 18,000)
Still, it can and does happen. Some people go crazy upon discovering that they've won, others are just a bit more mellow about things:
Some people just have a good time with it:
Good luck. And, should you win, let's not forget your little radio friends...