Popular Food Website Names Illinois’ Best Irish Pub
My grandfather, who was part of the first generation of his Ireland-born family to be born in the United States, once told me that Irish pubs are like beers and whiskeys: "There's lots of them, but not very many of them are worth your time."
And he was a man who would have known about such things. That, and how to place bets with bookies, how to handicap the ponies, where the best all-night card games were...you get the idea. He was wildly fun.
In Addition To A Good Drink, The Best Irish Pubs Also Have To Check Some Other Boxes
According to the experts at FoodAndWine.com, in order to be considered a great Irish pub:
- The beverage selection should be concise ("Guinness, hard cider and Irish whiskey are what you should be choosing from. If you're ordering a martini or an IPA, why are you there in the first place?")
- The music should be Irish
- The space should be worn in ("Your Irish pub should look like people have been smoking in it and spilling drinks on the floor for years.")
- The bar should be lively, but not painfully loud
- The food should be at least a little Irish
It Looks As Though An Irish Pub 83 Miles From Rockford Meets All The Criteria
This sprawling space (formerly a punk club) serves elevated takes on Irish favorites like Irish breakfast and beef and Guinness pie. Wash down your shot of Jeppson's Malort, an odd whiskey native to Chicago, with a perfect pour of Guinness.
If you'd rather try your luck over the border and behind the cheddar curtain, EatThis.com says that O'Donoghue's Irish Pub in Elm Grove is the best Irish Pub in the state of Wisconsin.