[UPDATE] Illinois Residents Huge Peanut Butter Recall Just Added 18 Chocolates
The Jif peanut butter recall due to salmonella contamination was just expanded by the FDA and now it includes over a dozen different peanut butter chocolates.
The J. M. Smucker Co. recall of 49 Jif peanut butter products just added nearly twenty more products to the list and they should be tossed out immediately.
If you haven't yet checked to see if you have one of the 49 Jif peanut butter products recalled, I shared the full list of products below, followed by the newly recalled chocolate and peanut butter products.
Full list of JIF peanut butter from the recall
Description | UPC
- JIF 16 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025516
- JIF 16 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025537
- JIF 96 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TWIN PACK | 5150024705
- JIF 96 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER TWIN PACK | 5150024706
- JIF 40 OUNCE NATURAL CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150007565
- JIF 12 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER INTERNATIONAL | 5150008026
- JIF 3/4 OUNCE PEANUT BUTTER PLASTIC CASE | 5150008051
- JIF .64 OUNCE NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER PLASTIC CASE | 5150008058
- JIF 96 COUNT NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER TO GO CASE | 5150021889
- JIF 36 COUNT CREAMY JIF PEANUT TO GO CASE | 5150024114
- JIF 8 COUNT CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO | 5150024130
- JIF 8 COUNT CREAMY PBTR TO GO | 5150024136
- JIF 4.5 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO | 5150024137
- JIF 54 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO 36 PACK | 5150024143
- JIF 28 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024163
- JIF 96 COUNT CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO | 5150024170
- JIF 54 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO 36 PACK | 5150024174
- JIF 28 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024177
- JIF 40 OUNCE NATURAL HONEY | 5150024182
- JIF 12 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024191
- JIF 12 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO | 5150024307
- JIF 40 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024321
- JIF 28 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024322
- JIF 4 POUND CAN CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024331
- JIF 96 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY TWIN PACK | 5150024404
- JIF 15.5 OUNCE NO ADDED SUGAR PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024540
- JIF 13 OUNCE SQUEEZABLE POUCH | 5150024545
- JIF 33.5 OUNCE NO ADDED SUGAR PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024548
- JIF 13 OUNCE NATURAL SQUEEZE POUCH | 5150024572
- JIF 80 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TWIN PACK | 5150024769
- JIF 80 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER TWIN PACK | 5150024776
- JIF 40 OUNCE REDUCED-FAT CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025499
- JIF 16 OZ REDUCED-FAT CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025518
- JIF 16 OUNCE CREAMY OMEGA 3 PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025530
- JIF 80 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TWIN PACK | 5150025542
- JIF 16 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025565
- JIF 16 OUNCE NATURAL CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025574
- JIF 16 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER HONEY | 5150025578
- JIF 40 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150072001
- JIF 40 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150072002
- JIF 46.5 OUNCE NO ADDED SUGAR PEANUT BUTTER | 5150041418
- JIF 1.1 OUNCE PORTION CONTROL PEANUT BUTTER 120 COUNT | 5150092100
- JIF 48 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024094
- JIF 48 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024095
- JIF 1.5 oz CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER TO GO | 5150024141
- JIF 48 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY | 5150024402
- JIF 40 OUNCE CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024090
- JIF 40 OUNCE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150024091
- JIF 40 OUNCE NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER | 5150025524
Today comes word that there are now more products tied directly to the Jif products that are being added to the nationwide recall. The Coblentz Chocolate Company just announced a recall of peanut butter chocolates.
Coblentz Chocolate products in the recall were sold between November 12th, 2021, and May 21st, 2022. They include lot numbers 1315 through 2140.
The following Coblentz Chocolate products are part of the recall:
- Peanut Butter Spread
- Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
- Graham Peanut Butter Sandwich,
- Ritz Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Oversized Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup,
- Fudge Sampler
- Peanut Butter Fudge
- Buckeye Fudge
- Oversized Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
- Oversized Peanut Butter Pretzel Cluster
- Peanut Butter Truffle
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Corn
- Select Gift Boxes: 4oz Deluxe Assortment, 8oz Deluxe Assortment, 16oz Deluxe Assortment,
- 32oz Deluxe Assortment, 8oz Assorted Creams, 16oz Assorted Creams
I couldn't find any photos of each of the specific products being recalled, but here's a link to Coblentz Chocolate Company's website.
If you have any of these products, you should throw them out. Salmonellosis is the infection you could get from eating anything contaminated with salmonella and that infection causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Fever is also a common symptom. Since the symptoms are the same as so many other ailments, testing is required to diagnose the illness properly.
Healthy people who get salmonellosis from eating the peanut butter in the JIF recall will likely recover after a few days just by staying hydrated. But the infection can be fatal to young children, frail or older adults, and others with weakened immune systems, according to bgr.com.
My home is filled with big peanut butter lovers. We are the family that eats it right off a spoon, our dog does too. This recall caused a bit of panic in my house.
Peanut Butter Salmonella Contamination Recall Announcement
J.M. Smucker recalls certain types of Jif peanut butter in the US because of possible salmonella contamination, cnn.com is reporting.
Jif happens to be the brand of peanut butter you'll find in my house. The recall includes over 45 different products, and at the moment it seems it could have been sold anywhere nationwide.
The affected products include:
- Creamy peanut butter
- Crunchy peanut butter
- Peanut butter to-go packs
- Natural squeeze pouch
The company's announcement included instructions as to what we all need to do with our Jif peanut butter products. Those instructions include checking the lot code on the packaging. The lot code is located next to the "best if used by" date.
Does your Jif peanut butter product lot code fall between these numbers?
1274425 to 2140425
While we were safe from the recall, we may have other issues.
Does anyone know how long after the "best if used by" date your peanut butter is still good to eat? Yikes
What To Do If Your Peanut Butter is Part of the FDA Recall
If your Jif peanut butter product has a lot code in that range, you should discard the product immediately. The recall is being conducted by the US Food and Drug Administration.