Doctors say this case is simply a fluke. More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue. It's just chance.

Greg Manteufel, from West Bend, Wisconsin was a healthy, Harley Davidson loving 48-year-old man. Greg has been around dogs his entire life and has been licked by them 1000s of times and nothing like this was ever a concern.

Greg went to the hospital, for what he and his wife thought, was a bad case of the flu. But within days they knew something else was wrong. His wife Dawn says that Greg started bruising so badly all over his body that it looked like he'd been beaten with a baseball bat, according to fox6now.com. Blood tests were done and confirmed that Greg had an infection caused by the bacteria capnocytophaga. Doctors believe the infection likely entered his body via a lick by a dog, likely his own. The infection was so quick and severe that within a week he lost his legs.

 

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help Greg and his wife with the rapidly growing medical bills.