The Most Commonly Misspelled Word In Each State Has Some Surprises
I don’t claim to be the best speller. I will undoubtedly get several red lines that I’ll have to correct before submitting this blog. However, I can still laugh at some of these.
This map, shared by Google, shows what words each state most frequently searches how to spell. I certainly “appreciate” Illinois not having one that’s too embarrassing (Note: I misspelled embarrassing before correcting it.)
Some of my favorites from the map are:
- Arizona and New Hampshire – Diarrhea – Funny word and I’ve never spelled it correctly
- Utah and Arkansas – Leprechaun – What’s going on in these states?
- Hawaii – Boutineer – Pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve actually typed that word
- Alaska – Hawaii – That’s just great.
- South Dakota, Oklahoma and Michigan – Gray – I know it’s probably just a “gray vs. grey” situation but come on.
- Ohio – Banana – Listen to Gwen Stefani one time.
- West Virginia – Giraffe – Such a weird word to search, so West Virginia it hurts
- Massachusetts – Massachusetts – Admittedly I can’t spell it either but I also don’t live there.
- Florida – Tomorrow – In a surprise to no one, Florida can’t spell a word that regularly shows up on a 2nd grade spelling test.
Looking good America. Spellcheck is definitely (eat it Oregon and Louisiana) ruining our country.