Even if You’re Not Swedish, You’ll Love Midsommar 2017 This Weekend
It's that time of year again, when Rockford's Swedish Historical Society presents Midsommar, the traditional Swedish festival which is celebrated worldwide and welcomes the arrival of the summer solstice. This event is such a good time that even people with zero Swedish ancestry (assuming that's even possible in Rockford) flock to it every year.
As is the Rockford tradition, all activities are on the grounds of the Erlander Home Museum in historic Haight Village. This year's theme is Midsommar 2017-Vikings to Volvos, and will be held Friday 6:00pm-10:00pm (doors open at 4:30pm), and Saturday 9:00am-4:00pm, rain or shine.
Some event highlights:
- ABBA Salute on Friday
- Vintage Volvo Car Show on Saturday
- Entertainment by Nordic Dances of Chicago and Svea Sonar chorus
- Viking encampment display
- Tours of Erlander Home and walking tours of Haight Village
- Kids' crafts, games and entertainment
You can purchase tickets for Midsommar at the Erlander Home Museum, or go to eventbrite.com.